Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Oreo Cake Balls



I know, I know...cake balls are cake balls, right?  Pretty much this one method will teach you how to make the glorious cake ball...until now...now I found a recipe in my Cake Ball cookbook (don't judge...you know you have a cake ball cookbook at home) that incorporates crushed cookies into the cake ball batter.  Yes..a crushed cookie is in there along with the cake and frosting.

You're welcome.

I found this recipe to be life changing (again, don't judge...cake balls can be life changing!).  I made these cake balls with crushed up Oreos but you could totally do it with Nutter Butter cookies, EL Fudge cookies, Golden Oreos, Nilla Wafers, Ginger Snaps...etc, etc, etc.  Don't confuse this recipe with my other recipe for Oreo Balls ...these are two different recipes (ok, they both have Oreos in them but they're basically different).  I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to have a cake ball again if it doesn't have a crushed cookie inside.  Life Changing people.

Shopping List
1 box white cake mix plus the ingredients to make a cake per box directions
1 can store bought cream cheese frosting
1 package of Oreo cookies, crushed (you need about 2 cups crushed)
8 oz chocolate candy coating (I use Baker's) 
Chocolate sprinkles to garnish the cake ball

Bake your cake per box directions in a 9x13 inch pan.  Once the cake has been baked and cooled, crumble your baked cake in a large mixing bowl.  Add entire container of store bought frosting and all of your crushed Oreos to the crumbled cake.  Combine cake crumbles, frosting and Oreo bits together.  Using your hands, form cake mix into round balls (golf ball size or so).  Place each ball on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.  Once all of your balls are formed, place baking sheet in the freezer to firm (at least 4 hours but as much as over-night).

Once you're ready to start decorating your cake balls, leave them in the freezer and get everything else ready.  You want your cake balls really cold to help with the decorating.  In a microwavable bowl, melt your chocolate (stir every 30 seconds until all melted).  Once chocolate is melted, place a toothpick inside your first cake ball and dip it in the chocolate.  Once covered, remove back to wax paper and immediately decorate with sprinkles.  Then, dip your second ball in chocolate and repeat.

Once your cake balls have been dipped and sprinkled, place in the fridge until ready to serve.

The best part about incorporating the cookies into the cake ball is the texture.  A regular cake ball doesn't have any crunch inside but these cake balls have a cookie crunch.  I'm not going to lie...I ate 5..ok 6.  I just can't lie.

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love a cake ball/cookie combo. We've made them before with yellow cake, vanilla frosting, nilla waffers and caramel ice cream sauce. Yum!

Alice said...

Everything about this recipe sounds delish!! I can't wait to try it out. :) And a Cake Ball cookbook? You've got to be kidding me! I NEED to find one, my hubby is all over cake balls. They're quickly becoming his favorite dessert!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...