Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dinner Tonight: Slow Cooker Cornbread Chicken Enchiladas


Y'all!  That came out of my slow cooker.  I know!  Crazy yummy and slow cooked...perfection!

I found this recipe in an old Southern Living Quick and Easy cookbook I had on my kitchen shelf.  Let me tell you...it was quick and easy.  All I did was add chicken to the recipe...the original version was vegetarian.  Slow Cooker season is almost over...how about we end with a bang?!

Shopping List
4 chicken breasts, thawed
1 can chopped green chiles, divided
3/4 cup salsa
1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 (8 oz) package corn muffin mix
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded

Stir together chicken, half of the green chiles and next 4 ingredients in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low 4 hours.

After 4 hours, stir together remaining green chiles, muffin mix and eggs.  Set aside.  Remove lid from slow cooker and shred chicken right inside with two forks.  Spoon cornbread batter evenly over mixture and return lid to slow cooker.  Cook an additional 1 1/2 hours.

Remove lid one last time, sprinkle cheese over cornbread and return lid for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

That's it!  When I first spooned the cornbread batter over the top of the chicken mixture, I didn't think there was enough and that my layer of batter was too thin.  However, after I put the lid back on and let it do its thing for an hour and a half, the batter had spread out over the entire top and baked up beautifully.  Yummy dinner!

Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

Lisa Rimke said...

Ohmylassie. This is in the crockpot right now. It's like chicken enchilada soup with cornbread crust. Yummmers.

AmyJo said...

This was really easy and very good. It was perfect for soccer practice night! I used green enchilada sauce because that's all I had and it turned out great. Thanks!

Mindy Rives said...

Delicious dish!!! Will definitely be making this again!

Blair said...

This was great! I had to make it in the oven but it was still really good! I have a question though - what is the reason behind not following the directions on the back of the Jiffy box (I think it calls for 1 egg instead of 2 and a little milk)? Is the milk just left out because you have some liquid from the green chiles? (I'm asking because if I want to use a homemade cornbread recipe when I make this next time, do you think I need to change up the number of eggs/liquid in it?) Thanks! Also, I have to add that I love your blog! I am a fellow Dallas gal and have always loved the Bachelor and so stumbling on your blog has been fun. The one bone I have to pick with you - where's your Texas Rangers love??! ;) ha!

Mix and Match Mama said...

The 2 eggs makes the cornbread firm up in the slow cooker and omitting the milk is because, yes, other liquids are already in there (like the chiles). As for the Rangers...they're not my Red Sox...so, I just can't like them. :)

Amber said...

Hi!! I absolutely love this blog and every single recipe I have tried has not disappointed!! Everything is so easy and makes me look like a gourmet chef...HA! Anyway, I'm making this recipe now, but I wonder what size can of chiles you use? I bought a 4.5 oz can, but it doesn't seem like a lot!!

Thank you so much and I hope you never stop blogging because we'll starve. :)
Amber

Mix and Match Mama said...

Yup, just a small size can of chiles is all you need. Of course, you could add more if you like!

Erin said...

Made this for dinner tonight, and it was so good and so easy! Love your blogs and all of your recipes :)

Kira said...

Hi, trying this recipe for the first time & I have a cornbread mix that only calls for water. I'm assuming I omit the eggs?
TIA!

Nitasha said...

Made this for dinner tonight! Perfect fall dish and so so yummy! :)

Melissa H. said...

I made this last night. It was delicious! The sweetness in the cornbread is so good paired with the spice of the filling. Thanks for sharing!

Regan said...

This was a huge hit tonight for my family. My 3 and 5 year old girls LOVED it and so did we. Thanks for the great recipe!!

jenn said...

I made the gf by using 3/4 c of gf flour, 1/2 c cornmeal, 3tbs sugar, 2tbs bake powder, 1/4 tsp xanthum gum, 1/4 tap salt, 1/2 c sour cream, 1/3 c milk , 1 egg and 2 tbs veg oil. Mixed it all and let it bake as recipe says. It was fabulous!

jenn said...

I made the gf by using 3/4 c of gf flour, 1/2 c cornmeal, 3tbs sugar, 2tbs bake powder, 1/4 tsp xanthum gum, 1/4 tap salt, 1/2 c sour cream, 1/3 c milk , 1 egg and 2 tbs veg oil. Mixed it all and let it bake as recipe says. It was fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...