Monday, November 7, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Cornbread Mexican Casserole

A casserole with a cornbread layer...I am so into that.

Shopping List
1 package of cornbread mix (plus the egg and milk to prepare it)
1 pound of ground beef (or substitute ground turkey, pork or chicken)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare packaged cornbread mix per box instructions.  In a greased 8x8 baking dish, spread cornbread mixture across bottom.  Bake 9-10 minutes or until done.

In the meantime, on the stove, brown ground beef.  Add in onion and garlic and saute about 5 minutes.  Add in next 4 ingredients.  Simmer 10 minutes on low.  Pour ground beef mixture over cornbread, top with cheese and bake 10 minutes or until bubbly.

This is the kind of casserole I want on chilly fall night.  So yummy!

Print Friendly and PDF


Lauren said...

I've made something very similar with Bisquick...I bet the cornbread version is even better! Can't wait to try it! :).

brandonandmandycox said...

We made this and it was yummy - we topped it with fresh cilantro. Crazy part - I think it was even better as leftovers!

Monica said...

I made this tonight for my husband and I. It was delicious! I had to tell him to stop eating it so we could have dinner tomorrow night. I follow all your blogs! Thanks you are amazing!

Jillian Shamblin said...

What did you serve as side dishes with this? I'm looking forward to making it ASAP!
-Newlywed New-cook

Jen said...

This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...