Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ham and Swiss Pinwheels

I'm famous for this recipe.  Famous.  I've been making these little appetizers for years and my girlfriends love them.  Every single time, I have friends over, they request these little guys.  They're so simple, they only require 3 ingredients and they are very, very versatile.  This is a Mix and Match Mama's dream method.  Once you have the method down, the possibilities are seriously endless.  Now that the holidays are approaching, everyone needs a go-to appetizer recipe that will please a crowd and yet be simple to make.

You start with a box or two of Puff Pastry Sheets (not cups!), thawed.


You unroll the sheet and place your ham (or turkey or chicken or pastrami or pepperoni or whatever protein you so desire) down the center.  Just as a reference, this is 5 slices of my absolute favorite Boar's head Rosemary and Sun dried Tomato Ham.  The flavor of meat you chose can make a huge impact on your pinwheel.  After you layer the meat, you layer your cheese on top.  I love Swiss cheese (again, about 4-5 slices).

Then you roll up the puff pastry.


Then you cut the rolled up pastry into pinwheels.  See the yummy cheese and ham inside?!


I spread them out on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy clean up).


And bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees.  The dough will have browned and the cheese will be bubbly inside.

So simple and yest sooooooo delicious!  Here are some other tidbits about these pinwheels:

1. They are great for breakfast.  I have served them to over-night guests and added them to many, many brunch tables.

2. The filling combinations are endless.  I have made them with pepperoni and mozzarella and then severed warm marinara as a dipping sauce.

3. They re-heat beautifully.  These guys are a great lunch re-heated the next day. 

4. They freeze well too.  After assembling them, you can freeze them and then pop them out and cook them the day they're needed.

I just love these little guys and I know you will too!

Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

The New Family said...

Yes, you should have just said these are Rachel New's favorite!!!

Kara said...

OK, how have I not had these yet? They look yummy. I know a certain 2.5 year old that will gobble them up. Thanks for the recipe!

Amber Massey said...

Copy, print, saved. Done :)

Sheaffer, Chris, Scout, and baby Carter said...

I can only hope that Erika decided to whip up these little babies for tonight. I love them. Like seriously....I love them.

SkinnyMommy said...

these look great and so easy. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda said...

I made these Saturday night and we dipped them in ranch. Soooooo good!

Ms. Easterling said...

Made these for a party today... so many compliments about how they looked impressive and were yummy. Can't ask for more from a super easy recipe! I gave you full credit and told everyone to check out your blog!

Sara said...

Do you think I could prep these the night before, put them in the refrigerator, and bake them in the morning?

Mix and Match Mama said...

You can absolutely do that!! I've done that many, many times! Enjoy!

Clarissa Proctor said...

What section of the store can you find puff pastries? I looked in the frozen area with not much luck :/ thanks for the help!

Mix and Match Mama said...

Puff Pastry is in the freezer section. It's typically near the sweet stuff like ice cream, frozen fruit and Cool Whip.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...