Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bundt Cake #5: Caramel with Caramel Frosting

I'm not going to lie...this version rocked my world.  At first, I was like "ho, hum...another version" but then I tasted it and was in HEAVEN!  The frosting really does take the cake and those little caramel bits...I could have eaten the entire bag.  Homemade caramel frosting on top of moist and delicious cake...what's not to love?



These little caramel bits were right on the baking aisle next to the chocolate chips and such.  If for some reason your store doesn't carry them, just substitute with chopped up caramel candy.  Unwrap a few, chop them a bit and add instead.  A simple substitution.

Shopping List
1 box of yellow cake mix
2 small boxes of instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup of veggie oil
1 1/4 cups of water
4 eggs
1 cup caramel bits

And for the frosting (recipe from my good friend Betty Crocker)
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Grease (I use Pam) a 10 inch bundt pan

In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, oil, water and eggs with electric mixer.  Add in caramel bits.  Pour into prepared bundt pan.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let cake rest on counter in pan 10 minutes.  Then, invert cake onto serving plate to finish cooling.  

For the frosting, melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat.  Add brown sugar and bring to a boil stirring constantly.  Add in milk and bring back to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Let mixture cool to luke warm (about 30 minutes).  Whisk powdered sugar into butter mixture.  Drizzle over cooled cake.  Lick bowl...trust me, you will.
Caramel Bundt Cake...this is why I do what I do.  You never know which version will be your favorite.

Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Melissa Smith said...

Do you use the whole recipe of frosting for this cake. Could I get by with a half of recipe?

Melissa Smith said...

Could I get by with a half recipe on the frosting?

Mix and Match Mama said...

You could totally reduce the amount of frosting! I like a lot but you don't necessary need that much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...